chloramine/ammonia and all that jazz

Hmmm, curioser and curioser.  Are you sure it was ammonia that killed
the fish?  Is ist possible it was a pH shift that did the damage?Did you
test the water for ammonia?  I have never heard of this and I know
several ppl in the area who also use sodium thiosulphate with no
appearent problem.

Our water out of the tap has been known to run as high as 9 and is ofter
8.5 or so.  My tanks are ofter over pH 8 because in my non-plant
Goldfish tanks I use oyster to add alkalinity.

It is possible there really is no chlorimine in my water, but all the
shops in the area are displaying signs form the water company announcing
the addition of chloramine.

Thanks for sharing you experience.  It is certainly something to keep an
eye on.

troi