Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #158

In a message dated 3/16/00 3:56:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<< "Hi. I'm looking for 2 or 3 inch tall hairgrass and I can't seem to find
any
 from any of the mail order companies. If anyone out there has any they
 could spare me I'd be forever grateful. I just need a sprig. I could grow
 it out from nothing. "
 I ordered Eleocharis parva from [Redacted], along with a large order of
 other plants. If you can't get it from there, I could send you a little,
although
 I only have a few small clumps myself - it is getting shaded out by other
 plants >>

This stuff grows wild around here in South Florida, and while I'm not sure of
the exact subspecies, I'm pretty sure it's parva, or caribaea or palustris, or
 maybe a new sp. who knows? Anyway, it's small that's for sure, 2 - 4 inches.
This time of year a lot of it is growing emersed due to the lowered water
levels. I think once it becomes submerged, it elongates a bit in search of
light. If enough light were provided however, I would imagine that it might
stay small, although I couldn't say for certain.

I've got some outside in a clear storage box filled with water along with
some bacopia, nepenthes, and some kind of fern looking weed I collected in a
nearby lake. Although it's been out there for a month now, it hasn't
elongated any. Then again, the light's pretty intense out there on the old
patio.

 Point is, if anybody wants some - contact me off-list and I'll trade for
whatever. I have absolutely nothing and am setting up a tank just now.

Regards,

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach