Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #155

In a message dated 3/15/00 3:58:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< While doing this weekends water change, >>

That got me thinking...

How many of you guys treat the "new" water in a separate container before you
introduce it into the aquarium during water changes? How many don't?

I'm assembling all the equipment for a 125 gal 1st effort and am starting to
wake up to what I'm letting myself in for. Now, I figure I can siphon tank
water right out the door and into the garden no sweat, and dumping more water
into the monster via the hose and spigot won't put me out much either - so I
might actually DO water changes if that's all it involves. Now we do have
choloramine in the local H2O but I'm thinking a good squirt of Amquel along
with the garden hose water change .... am I being too cavalier here? I'm in
Florida so the water temp out of the tap is not that far off (temp. wise
anyway). It could use a little alk. Bicarbonate, right?

Please tell me you guys don't fully treat and balance giant trash cans of
water prior to introducing them into the tank!

Just wondering,

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach