Re: java moss on driftwod

In a message dated 03/15/2000 3:58:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< Hello, I'm trying to get some Java Moss to attach to my drift wood and was
 wondering if anyone had any good ideas the best way to go about it.  Got
 some nice Java ferns growing on my other piece but this stuff is a little
 messier to work with. >>

Depending on the size of your driftwood you could start the j moss emersed.
I have done this and it works well but requires patience!  Take the piece of
driftwood place it in a terrarium / glass bowl / plastic container (something
that will allow light in) with a few inches of water in the bottom.  Snip a
portion of the moss into little pieces and let them fall onto the wood.
Spray/mist the pieces with aquarium water until they look flat and saturated.
Cover the container and place in a bright location. Every few days mist
again. When new bright green growth appears and a stream of water won't
dislodge the moss its ready for the aquarium. The advantage to this is if
java moss is not readily available in your area, then you can really make a
little go along way!
If your wood is too big for this then just tie a portion onto it with thread.
Good Luck!
Lynn