"Roots" on java fern leaves

I have a tank that's been set up now for a little over a couple of weeks.

Some of the java fern is planted in the substrate, and others are tied down to
rocks with fishing line.  I've noticed what look like roots sprouting from the
leaves. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Also, is java fern a good starter plant?

GH: 13.5
KH: 10.1
pH w/ injected CO2: 7.1
2x55 W compact flourescents in a 55 gallon tank

Some things are growing OK, but there's still a hair algae struggle going. I'm
hoping the plants settle down and start outcompeting the algae soon.

-- Stephen