RE: Dupla Reactor

>Hi all,
>
>On the weekend I was trying to setup my CO2 system for my Aquarium but I am
>having some trouble with my Dupla Reactor 400. My main query is how great does
>the flow of water need to be for the reactor to work properly? I've rigged up a
>special pipe connected to my Hagen Powerhead 804 and the custom T-connector that
>comes with the reactor to inject the water into it, I'm a little concerned that
>the flow rate isn't high enough. The water flow is greater then a trickle but
>not forceful enough to create a strong jet of water to squirt into the reactor,
>when I put my fingers on the exit hole of the reactor I cannot feel any water
>movement at all. Does this sound okay or should I be trying to increase the rate
>of water that is being forced into the reactor? Perhaps I should buy a separate
>water-pump to use for injecting the water?

I use a Maxi jet 750 with no problems on a 150 and a 135 gallon tank. Place
output right next to return pump intake. The 135 has a full Dupla set up.
Their reactors are worth about 20% of the cost. Customer wanted it
though........(his 160$). We have pump dedicated to the reactor. I think you
may need to remove the "T" and connect with as large as hose as the output
of the pump to be used.

>Also on a related problem, I'm not particularly happy with the performance of
>the powerhead as the water current it generates is not nearly as strong as I
>thought it would be. The specifications for the Powerhead says it has a
>flow-rate of up to 1500L/hr but when used in my tank (4ft  x 18" x 18"), by the
>time the flow hits the other end of the tank the flow is nearly non existent
>(with or without the reactor attached). I saw a demonstration of a Eheim water
>pump (model no. 1048) which has a pump output rate of 1200L/hr and it was
>creating a greater current of water movement then my powerhead, despite the
>discrepancies in output performance. What pumps do others use to increase the
>water flow in their tanks and how strong is the current? I wish to have a good
>current of water in my tank in order to help keep my plants free of dirt and
>other junk, plus give my fish more exercise when swimming.

I would suggest using spray bars along the back lower wall of your tank.
They will be hidden back there and also have a good even current. A
powerhead will do fine for what you are asking and a Rio would do just fine
or a Maxi jet etc.  I assure you, you DO NOT 300-400gal/hr blasting through
a 70 gallon tank in addition to your filter nor through a reactor. It waste
electricity, takes up more room, adds more heat, cost more etc. This will do
more harm than good for your plants. If your running it through the reactor
with this pump also(?) you should only need a Maxi jet or close (around
500liter/hr at most) and direct the output if going directly into the tank
downward or along the back wall. You need the CO2 rich water flowing up
through the plants rather than blasting all over the back and escaping to
the surface. A slow gentle current will produce better results ......at
least the tanks I have done. I would also dare to say that most successful
aquatic gardeners don't have high current tanks. I t took me some time to
get rid of the notion that more current is better. This is/tends to be a
fish only tank notion, not a planted tank notion.  A turnover rate of 3-4
(tank volume) times an hour is plenty in most cases. How you direct the
current can make a very large difference also. I have a Rio 2500 under a
sump @ 4 1/2 ft of head pressure for a 90 gal which come to about 300GPH at
most. I use a maxi jet on my reactor in the sump. Perhaps this helps,
perhaps you didn't want to hear this<G>.
Regards,
Tom Barr