Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #150

>Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:20:22 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net>
>Subject: Aponogetons
>
>>Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:27:05 EST
>>From: Biplane10 at aol_com
>>Subject: Aponogeton & lighting & substrates
>>
>>I was in a lfs today, quite surprised to find they had dozens of
aponogeton
>>crispus and ulvaceous growing in a few tanks. These tanks were not well
>>lit--the *brightest* tank had maybe 80 watts over probably a 75 gallon
tank
>>or so. They were small bulbs, but were rooting profusely. Leaves were
growing
>>up to the surface, as well, maybe because of the lower lighting? He'd
>>apparently gotten them in as bulbs only, and they were growing well in his
>>tanks.
>
>They're hybrids. Real crispus and ulvaceous don't jave floating leaves.
>
>They are *heavy* feeders.

Well, if you'd notice, he never said floating leaves, he just said the
leaves were growing to the surface.  I have a couple crispus that grow tall
and spindly in one type of light, and short and wide in another.  I think it
has to do with the amount of blue light as opposed to red light.  I read
that in one issue or another here.  I burned out a light in my 2.5 gallon
tank, and the lily type plant in it was never over 3 inches tall, but when I
put the light that came with the strip in as a temporary fix, the thing
started shooting leaves to the surface, and winding the stalks all over the
tank.  I replaced the bulb, and things are back to normal.

Matt