Moving water Was:Flourite anaerobic

As was contemplating this thread since I noticed bubbles and rotten egg
smell from some of the deep parts of my sand substrate.   Since installing
a RFUG filter would blow away a lot of sand its not a option for me.  But
as I was looking through a mail order fish supply catalog I saw a air
powered corner foam filter.  And I thought what if I buried one of these in
a dead spot?

Rolando

At 03:48 AM 3/10/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 15:20:42 -0800
>From: "Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
>Subject: RE:Flourite anaerobic
>

> >    For what it's worth, I pulled up a big Val recently and it's lowest
> >roots were black.  Isn't that supposed to be a sign of roots growing in an
> >anaerobic medium?  In any case, the Val was growing in 3" of pure Flourite
> >in an area at the back of the tank that hadn't been disturbed for a long
> >time. -- Sherman Lovell
>
>Sounds like an anaerobic gravel bed to me. Did it have the smell associated
>with anaerobic conditions.......the stinky rotten egg smell too? Lots of
>black colored gravel that stunk too? If not it may be just plant's roots
>dying back from something else.
>
>I've got 6 inches or so in a twenty and a 10 gallon with no flow going into
>the gravel at all to see if the stuff prevents this. I just (today) re-did a
>6-7 inch gravel bed to see if there were any anaerobic spots. Very low flow
>tank(about 20 gal/hr in a twenty gallon tank) I couldn't find any. I have
>about 6 inches in a couple of big tanks and haven't found any anaerobic
>conditions yet either. I wonder if the Val just died back some?
>I only keep the red marble val any more ( I think I do have some of Dwight's
>val still). The other's can be a bit more sensitive. I think adding the RFUG
>to this stuff may be a very good substrate set up but I kind of wanted to
>know if there was anyone that had an anaerobic experience with flourite. I
>haven't but you never know..........
>Regards,
>Tom Barr

"Nac mac Feegle wha hae!"