shrimp question

> tierney wayne wrote:
>
> I'm not sure exactly what type of shrimp I got (one labled as "ghost" and
> two as "algae eating") but they have all disappeared within the past week.

> The ghost shrimp I had had for about a month, and the other two were new.
> Does anyone know what might attack these guys? I have a dwarf pleco and an

> upside-down catfish that I feel suspicious of because they only come out
at
> night... I never get to see what they are really up to. I also have two
> 3-inch gouramis; they seem too small to eat an inch long shrimp.

When I first started playing with plants I added some C. japonica (Amano
shrimp) to my 50g and they started disappearing.  I checked everything there
was to check, tested everything there was to test and was suspicious of
every critter in the house including my cats.  I finally figured it out.
For some reason the shrimp were climbing out via the sump's overflow box and
i started finding them in all areas of the trickle filter.  I piece of nylon
screen over the slots in the overflow blocked the escape route, but it
wasn't until the tank was fully planted out that they became more
comfortable.  At this point I have no idea as to how many shrimp I've
actually got, but I haven't found a dead one in a year.

Michael Rubin
michael@rubinworldcom
http://www.rubinworld.com/aquarium.htm