Re: Environmental concerns

> Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 12:02:34 -0700
> From: Chuck Gadd <cgadd at cfxc_com>
> Subject: Re: Environmental concerns
>
> Is it really that common for people to get rid of their aquarium plants
> by throwing them into a lake or stream?  I know that it's common
> (unfortunately) with fish, but with plants, you can just throw any old/
> excess plants in the trash.  I can't imagine someone making a trip to
> get rid of plants they no longer want.

Often enough, unfortunately, since people who live on the water very often
do just exactly that. Both Eurasian Millfoil and Water Hyacinth were
probably introduced in exactly that manner. I imagine it's often a double
wammy; mom gets tired of taking care of the golfish for junior, so dad has
to sneak it out of the house, and throw it in the local river/stream/lake.
Fish, plant and all...With plants it is particularly bad, since one small
sprig of plant can quickly become a large weed under the right conditions.

It would be funny if it weren't so tragic all the way around. 99% of the
fish and plants probably die, but that one percent that does live is enough
to establish new populations.

Brett Johnson
Green Man Gardens
bnbjohns at home_com