Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #130

In a message dated 3/2/00 2:52:17 PM US Central Standard Time,

<<
 Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 12:51:23 -0600
 From: Devan Griffin <dustgrif at gpt_infi.net>
 Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #129

 Please let me know if I did this right? About daphnia, would it work in
 an outdoor pond ?? Thanks Dust  >>

I had great success adding daphnia magna to an outdoor rainwater pond last
Spring when the weather warmed up.  It eventually died out when it got very
hot; water temperatures were  ~90*F at the bottom.

 When I cleaned the pond out last Fall, I saved several buckets of pond water
and mulm.  When the temperatures reached the freezing zone, I put the buckets
in my mostly dark basement.  Much to my surprise, the culture came back.
Since it has been unseasonably warm, I recently added some of the culture
back in to the pond.  I expect the culture to take off again.

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA