Re: clams and green water

Thomas Barr wrote:

" I recently induced GW to test the effectiveness of Clams and
Mussels. They didn't do so well IMO against GW. Anyone else
care to say something about this?"

I tried this last summer during a green water outbreak. I went down
to the Potomac River and dug up about 20 thumnail-sized clams. I
put them in a tupperware bowl (so I could take them out easily
when I wanted to) with some gravel and settled them into the
bottom of the tank. Three weeks later, the water was still very
green. I pulled up the tupperware bowl. The clams were all still alive
and doing their filterfeeding thing. There was a layer of green slime
in the bottom of the bowl (did they filter it but not digest it?).  I
guess there just weren't enough of the little fellows. At any rate, I
don't think clams are the answer, or at least not this sort.

Cathy Hartland
Middletown, MD where the siberian irises are blooming