Re: Substrate heating

> Subject: Substrate Heating
>
> Tom Brennan wrote:

> think my available Phosphate and Iron levels would be much higher if it were
> not for the steady convection and cation exchange and element reductions
> (divalent state) going on in my substrate making elements (Ammonium, K, P
> Fe, Ca, Mg and other trace elements) available to plant roots.

	Of the items in this list, K, P, Ca and Mg are all in oxidation
states that are _not_ going to be changed in an aquarium.  The K will be K+,
the P will be in a phosphate form - effectively P(V) and the Ca and Mg will
be Ca++ and Mg++.  The iron could be reduced from III to II in the substrate,
and ammonia could be oxidised to nitrate.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada