Daphnia

For years I have been told the benefits of live daphnia as a food for
freshwater fishes (beginning with my reading of Innes' Exotic Tropical Fish
nearly 40 years ago as a kid).  I was recently reminded of this during an
outbreak of green water.  Although I didn't try it (I cleared the tank with
a diatom filter), some suggested that I introduce live daphnia as a algae
control measure.  I've seen freeze-dried daphnia in the LFS but never live.
Can anyone enlighten myself and others on how one goes about securing and/or
raising live daphnia?  I would think that daphnia strained from local
streams and ponds would be risky in terms of introducing unwanted parasites.

Thanks!

Dr. Neil D. Anderson
Asbury College
Dept. of Bible and Theology