Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #112

In a message dated 2/22/00 3:57:09 PM, Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< > My tap water is 7, but if I aerate it overnight in a glass container, it
> pops-up to 8.2.  Chuck Gadd suggests that there may be lots of CO2 in my tap
> water that, when dissipated, leave behind the alkaline water.

I have the same problem here in Lansing MI.  After doing a bunch of tests and
dragging my wife downstairs into the fish room (she is the chemist in the
family), I have determined that my water is filled with CO2.  My water from
my Culligan RO unit goes from 7 to 8.4 after aerating it for just a few
minutes.  I have tested the water at numerous stages of RO membrane use to
make sure that I did not have anything in my water to raise the pH and have
found nothing in my water to effect the pH except the CO2.
Scott