Bio-Wheels

> The activated carbon is probably removing your Fe, and maybe other
> micronutrients needed by the plants. It is also serving as living quarters
> for bacterial colonies which may be competing for the same nutrients your
> plants need. If you have a well-planted aquarium, it is less desirable to
> use carbon, except for temporary situations where you need to quickly
remove
> certain substances (medication, tannins leached from new driftwood,
> reduction of excessive chemistry levels,etc.).
>
> Dan Dixon

Dan-
Thanks for the input.  Your comment brings-up another question...
If the bacteria in my activated carbon is competing with my plants for
nutrients, then how about my FOUR bio-wheels?
I have a 75 gal tank with a moderate-to-heavy fish load.  I have long been a
fan of bio-wheels, and thought that they would be a necessity in my plant
tank (because I have no UG filter).
Is my filtration system competing with my plants? (or will the bio-wheels
expel all the CO2 that I am trying to inject?)
I appreciate all the help.
Tom

Follow-Ups: References: