PO4, etc.

Roger wrote:  "I'll restate the question as I see it.  If all the
macronutrients are present in measurable quantities, and micronutrients are
dosed regularly to keep them balanced, then what is it that keeps the algae
from becoming a nuisance?"
Let me restate the question a second time.  :-)  Assume the above facts.
Why do higher order plants out compete the algae?  Dr dave (Heubert)
discussed this issue a couple of years ago and expressed considerable
puzzlement over the question.
Steve Dixon in San Francisco where the weather is definitely sub moderately
optimal