Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #103

> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:42:55 -0800
> From: "Burke Harris" <burkeh at starlingconsulting_com>
> Subject: re: snail eating loaches
>
> If you can find them botia loaches will eat all of your snail eggs and
most
> small snails. botias stay small ( 1" or so)and fit into community tanks
> fine. They are schoolers so you'll want at least 5 to keep them happy

You may be thinking of the Sidthimunki botia (or dwarf botia). If you have
the right variation it will not grow much larger than 2 to 2,5 inch. If you
are unlucky it may grow to about 6 inch.... (And as you buy them, you won't
notice the difference).
Other botias tend to grow larger. The wellknown botia macracantha will after
several years perhaps reach a length of 12 inches...

By the way my clown botias perforate Echinodorus species. My Sidthimunkis
are finpickers. Both of them eat snails, when they are hungry enough.
Sietske Tol.