Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #105

<< Aquarium pharmeceuticals sells a product (Tap Water Conditioner, I
believe) that
 "detoxifies heavy metals."

 I'm concerned that it might remove nutrients plants need, but I am also
concerned
 about heavy metals and fish health too. Anyone have any comments?

The Tap Water Conditioner is a small deionizing resin column designed for
home use to produce small quantities of deionized water.  The state capacity,
I believe, is "up to 45 gallons."  Of course, the actual amount of deionized
water would depend on how much mineral load was being removed from your
particular water.  The water produced is quite pure, equal to commercial
deionized water.  Such water has had all significant mineral and metal load
removed, and that would include iron and magnesium.  Naturally, this water
has its uses and can be quite desirable when used to mix with ordinary
tapwater to produce very soft water for Discus, Tetras, etc.  You would not
want to use this water and nothing else unless you added back some minerals.
Think of it as a building block to construct the tank water you desire.