Algae Balls?

I recently these things at the fish store.  Little balls of what seems to be
hair algae about the size of a golf ball.  Quite dense, I have no idea how
it's cultured and formed but they are expensive at no less than CDN $10.
Hmmmm, there's a small fortune at the bottom of my flourite lined tanks
waiting to be assembled?
;^)

Interesting nonetheless.  The closest information I could find refered to
marimo balls from Japan.

"Lake Yamanaka-ko is surrounded by sand beaches, restaurants, and lodging.
There are playgrounds and swan-shaped boats for rent. Besides being the
largest lake, Yamanaka-ko is also famous for marimo, a ball-shaped algae
inexplicably found only here and at lake Akan-ko in far northern Hokkaido."