RE: Photoreduction of iron and other elements

James Purchase wrote:

>Mmmmmm...... I don't know how scientifically valid it is to claim that algae
>cannot use gluconate bound iron based upon the sales volume of a product....
>in my mind, it doesn't follow at all (even though the supposition that algae
>cannot use gluconate bound iron may very well be true). The sales figure for
>the product say more for the effectiveness of the advertising behind it than
>they do for anything else. <g>

Well, maybe I did over generalize it a bit ;-) Perhaps not _proof_
but I would say it is consistent with a model wherein algae do not
utilize gluconate bound iron more rapidly than plants. I say this
because if algae did utilize gluconate bound iron more rapidly than
plants, then this product would not work; 99% of the people who would
have used it would have had an algae outbreak, hence killing sales
quite quickly (there's a lot to be said for word of mouth vs
advertising ;-). Of course this ignores the fact that we would never
have even tried to sell a product that would do this ;-)

-Greg Morin

Gregory Morin, Ph.D.  ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc.      www.seachem.com     888-SEACHEM