solid copper wires and end caps.

Rod

Don't worry if you cant get 18 gauge single core.  The next size will
do.  As for end caps, don't use them!  Use clips to hold the tubes in place
and regular 2 screw, wire connectors and attach one directly to each pin
and the other to the wire.  I hooked up tubes that way for my home made
hoods over the 4 footers.

Alfred

At 03:48 PM 2/13/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:24:19 -0600
>From: Rod Hanks <rhanks at benchbuilt_com>
>Subject: T8 End caps and 18awg solid copper wire
>
>I'm getting things together to build a new hood and have two
>problems.
>
>The Motorola T8 electronic rapid start ballasts I bought from
>a local lighting contractor came without any wire, but they
>specify 18awg insulated solid copper wire.  6 colors would
>be real nice since that is how many colors they have on the
>wiring diagram, but I'll go color blind if I have to.
>
>I didn't even think about it at the time I bought the ballasts but
>it turns out that this wire is unavailable!  I can get 12, 14,
>and 16 awg at the drop of a hat, but 18awg is always stranded
>in the local hardware stores, etc.  Any ideas on this?
>
>The lights will be above the water surface with no intervening
>glass.  I don't even know of a source of endcaps for t8's, but if
>I did it would probably cost nearly 10 dollars a pair, a
>signifigant fraction of the cost of the whole thing.  I can get
>regular open end caps for less than two dollars a pair.  Any
>ideas on how these could be used?
>
>I am even thinking of siliconing the end caps and the end of the
>light together with regular silicon sealant, then when I have to
>replace a light simply throwing the end cap out with the light
>and getting new ones.
>
>Ideas on endcaps?
>
>Thanks,
>Rod

In sunny Singapore - if it's not raining!

Visit my humble fish site: http://members.delphi.com/alheng