Re: 18 gauge solid wire.

> I didn't even think about it at the time I bought the ballasts but
>  it turns out that this wire is unavailable!  I can get 12, 14,
>  and 16 awg at the drop of a hat, but 18awg is always stranded
>  in the local hardware stores, etc.  Any ideas on this?

Thermostat wire is 18 gauge solid, and it comes in all different numbers of
conductors, or you can just unzip the jacket and use the wires individually.
You should be able to buy it by the foot at your local hardware store.
Thermostats are low voltage devices, but the wire that I bought *looks* just
like normal 600 V wire.  I haven't had any problems with it.  HTH

bob