Re: Discus Plants and Hard Water

Hi Adam,
> I have been very successfully keeping plants in a 75 gallon tank.  The water
> here is quite hard, coming out of the tap at 8.4 and leaving calcium
> deposits in pots.  Still, I have managed to grow enough plants to sell them
> regularly and recently to sand a bunch to Wilma Duncan for use in the West
> Virginia school system.
>
> Twice I have tried to introduce discus into the tank with fatal results.
I never heard that harder water will affect discus. If you bring discus
to fast
from hard water to soft, they will be killed. Normaly you need to
aclimate a few
hours before you can put discus in the tank.

How many discus have you introduced to your tank?

> The tank is CO2 injected and the pH hovers around 7 so I don't think the pH
> is killing them. The tank have never registered any type of nitrogen as the
> plants take it all up.
That seem to be normal.

> I am asking if it is possible to peat filter the water before changes and/or
> use rechargeable softener pillows to bring the hardness down low enough.  I
> don't want the expense or hassle of RO right now. Are there any cheap or
> easy solutions?
I don't think so, if you like to bread discus, you have to investigate
in RO.
For keeping it isn't necessary.

IMHO it is posible that your discus get infected by bacteria.

Juergen