Re: SAEs and CAEs

Peter Carroll wrote:

> what species are CAE's and SAE's.  I also assume that CAE =
> Chinese Algae Eater and SAE is a Siamese Alge Eater.

Right.
CAE = Chinese algae eater, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri
SAE = Siamese algae eater, Crossocheilus siamensis

> At my LFS I have heard and Otocinclus referred to
> as both a CAE and an SAE.

They are none of these.  Ottos are tiny Loricariid (suckermouth) catfishes
from South America, close relatives to plecos.  Both CAEs and SAEs are
Cyprinids from Asia.  There are at least 20 species of Otocinclus cats,
and some close relatives like Parotocinclus might be sold as ottos as
well.

> What is a Flying Fox catgorized as?

The "true" FF aka Thai FF is Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus, but a number of
slender Asian Cyprinids are called flying foxes. SAE is one of them, and
it is sometimes called as Siamese flying fox.  All flying foxes eat some
algae, and most of them are aggressive loners.  SAE is a true schooling
fish.

> My Oto's seem to do a great job on brown algae, but the don't
> seem to touch the green.  Any suggestions?

Get a bristlenose pleco.

Liisa