AquaJournal.....#39?? R. Wallichii takes a nose dive

Hello everyone,

FWIW, I am Just getting around to recovering from a disk crash.  I was not
surprised to hear rumors that the AquaJournal was being discontinued.  My
sources actually indicated that English version was being discontinued.
Maybe someone at VectraPoint could give us a clue? I received AJ#38 I guess
back in Sept maybe??  At this rate my substrate will expire before I get all
12 issues (and gosh with under gravel heating cables this could tank 10
years!;))  -Oh well I can lean Japanese in the mean time and read Diana
Walstad's book over and over again in between AquaJournal Volumes?  Thank
God for Dave G's new publication, (no pressure Dave).

Question: My R. Wallichii has taken a nose-dive for no apparent reason, and
four of my larger SAEs have developed a taste for it's less than vibrant and
typical grown.  The SAE yank the needles off the plant in the middle 2
thirds of the stalk.  Top portions are still growing and green/red in color.
They seem to nibble the darker needles the most.    I remember a thread
going about this, did anyone figure this one out.  I took a group from the
huge clump located in one spot and moved it to another part of the tank with
a little more light thinking maybe it wasn't getting or it had exhausted
nutrients from it's current substrate location or maybe it was suffering
from some sort of allelopathic circumstance.  I also added some root-tabs
(K, Mg, Fe, S) to maybe perk things up....I let everyone know if this
improves things.  Does anyone know what nutrients R. Wallichii must have or
is particularly susceptible to shortages of in the substrate or water
column?  I can't think of anything I did out of the ordinary to this tank
that would damage this plant.  Is this seasonal, does it go dormant?  On
average the night time temperature in my tank has dropped a few degrees
because of the cold weather?  Typically my tank stays around 81.5F-day and
79.5F-night but as dropped to 78.5F with these cold nights. Hummmm....

Thanks!
Tom Brennan
brennansatixdotnetcomdotcom