Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #50

In a message dated 1/23/2000 2:02:14 PM Mountain Standard Time,

> I'm thinking of setting up a ten gallon plant-only tank as a "spa" for tired
>  Anubias. My thought was to put in 2" of substrate, 3" of water, add 2W/gal
>  lighting, cover the tank with a tight fitting hood and inject DIY CO2.
>
>  I have a few questions:
>  1) is there a risk of the plants being O2-limited at night if the ambient
>  air was mostly CO2?

The use of CO2 when growing plants emersed seems to me a waste of equipment
and effort.  The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is much higher than
in water.  The risk of o2 limitation is dependent on how much CO2 you use.
Since CO2 is heavier than air and heavier than O2, it will lay along the
waterline, and slowly fill the tank, unless you also run a standard air pump
to help keep the CO2 diluted.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com