Re: substrate gravel size

>>I have always had a difficult time finding the right size and type of
>>gravel in my area. I like something dark and I have used Black Beauty
12/40
>>sand blasting sand mixed with vermiculite in the past but I really don't
>>like the vermiculite and the sandblasting sand is too fine. I have access
>>to a huge pile (50 tons) of pink crushed granite which I like the look of
>>but the gravel is too large being in the 1/8" to 1/2" range. So what I
did
>>was screen the sand so I got 12/16 sand and screen the gravel so I got
4/8
>>gravel. If I mix the two together will this make a suitable gravel for
>>growing plants even though there is no in between size sand? I also have

>I don't completly understand the way you describe the gravel size (i live
in
>a Country very everything is in metric units)

Me too :-) or at least I am supposed to. The sand is about 1.5 - 2 mm and
the
gravel is about 3 - 6 mm.

>But i have had the best success with gravel around 1-2 mm in diameter. If
it
>get smaller is get's too compact like wet sand.

I am hoping that the sand will fill in the spaces between the gravel and
prevent
deitrus from getting down into the gravel.

>Good luck with you tank.

Thanks. I have put a lot of effort into getting the setup just the way I
want it. Everything except the tank including the filtration, substrate,
lighting, reflector, canopy, CO2 and stand is DIY. The ballasts are remote
mounted inside the stand and the yeast/sugar CO2 is inside the tank stand
so it will be warmed by the ballasts. I even have an an automatic water
changer/overflow. Even all the plants will be from cuttings from my 90
gallon tank. As soon as the ballasts I have on order arrive and are
installed it is just a matter of turning on the water and putting in the
plants. I can hardly wait.

Wayne