Re: plastic soda bottles/rootbeer

> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:40:23 -0800
> From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #44
>
> At 12:06 PM 1/21/2000 -0500, Chuck Gadd opined:
> >Don't use any type of valve with a DIY yeast setup.  Yes, the pressure
> >can and will cuase a 2L plastic bottle to explode.
>
> Chuck, are you SURE of this?   I was going to use 2L soda bottles to make
> home made root beer, but I don't want any ruptures (more than the usual
> number).
> - --
> Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg at wcf_com
> NEW Planted Aquaria Magazine:        http://www.wcf.com/pam
> My aquarium plant supply store:      http://www.wcf.com/store

Dave,
Not to get off topic on plants, but..................I've made rootbeer in the plastic bottles and NEVER had any explode. I did monitor them and made sure that they are not exposed to too high a heat though. Years ago I used to use glass bottles and some got too warm and the bottle caps popped on a few ! The only problem with plastic is that you cannot properly sterilize them ( I use boiling water on the glass bottles), but I did not have a problem. It's been quite some time since I've made a batch so I don't remember the details but I always stored them in the basement where it was cool ( usually done in the summertime) so the reaction is rather slow. My father used to tell stories about having the glass bottles explode, but it was always from having them exposed to too high a heat (left in the sun by accident!). I would recommend glass bottles though from a cleanliness point of view as they can have boiling water poured in them to get them really clean to prevent bacteria from contaminating the brew! I miss the great taste that DIY rootbeer has! Maybe it's time for a batch! Sorry for the diversion!
HTH,
Bob Buettner
From -50 degrees F (with the wind-chill) Northwest CT
Visit the new location for my Freshwater Aquarium site
http://www.cshore.com/luna/Fishpics/Fishpicstn.html