re: Alfred's Lil' red vals

Alfred wrote:

>Actually, I have a small tank full.  I followed your post to the list about
>finding them and then growing them in tanks and adding co2 and having them
>turn green.  Mine are the same.  In the outdoor direct sunlit tank, they
>are RED and this is the whole tank not just some, remain short, about 2.5-3
>inches max, but with co2 they turn green and grow taller.  Only thing is
>that I am in a different part of the world.
>
>Alfred
>
>At 12:06 PM 1/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>Vallisnaria grass Crystal RARE RED (available nowhere else!)

Reply:

Thank you Alfred!  Nothing beats some independent verification.  The key to
the colour seems to be the Co2; remove it and the plants I have return in a
couple of weeks to a red-pink-green hue. The key to the height seems to be
the lighting.  Those of us that can afford intense VHO light can probably
maintain that micro val form indoors as well (I use GTE Chroma
50's...bummer).  I'm just happy to have "tri-coloured" val that's not a six
foot GIANT.

What would truly be informative is for a plant I.D. expert to work over a
sample of yours and my L'il red vals to gie us the scoop about the relative
degree to which genetics or environmental factors play a role in the Lil'
red val morphology.

D.Chang

See my NEW (1/13)) Plants and Driftwood  at;
http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/Boukmn_s-Homepage.html

eBay specials;
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/boukmn/