Re: How to maintain high PH/KH with CO2 injection

on 20/1/00 8:40 pm, Roy Cheok at roycheok at cyberway_com.sg wrote:

> I've been a silent lurker on this list for the past 2 yrs.....and
> finally coming out of the shell.

Welcome Roy! You've finally spoken :-)

> I intend to setup a planted Africian cichlid (with Altolamprologus
> Calvus from Lake Tanganiyika). Not too sure if this is possible.....
> but I've been told that these cichlids do not dig up substrate,
> do not chew up the plants and generally remain small, being very slow
> growers.  The problem is that the PH/KH needs to be relatively high...
> compared with the usual acidic waters of the planted aquaria.

Actually, I've been meaning to ask this too. The chiclids I want to keep
though are known as the shell dwellers ... Neolamprologus Brevis a
Tanganyikan native as well.

> The question is....is it possible to maintain a high PH of 8 - 8.5, dKH
> of >8...in a CO2 injected tank that would be optimal (maybe not quite
> optimal...but acceptable) for reasonable plant growth.

I believe *some* plants can grow in harder waters, vals for instance. I was
hoping to have the chiclids in my new Emersed Tank (see website for details)
where the fish would live in about 4 inches of water. The main plant would
be hairgrass.

> Obviously the injected CO2 will tend to lower the PH and KH...etc, but
> if I maintain sufficient buffers with the addition of sodium bicarbs,
> magnesium sulphates, borates...etc (with marine KH buffers),
> can this be done...to have high PH/KH and yet a reasonable concentrated
> of CO2 in the water.  From the KH/PH/CO2 tables....it doesn't seem to fit
> ......but I was just wondering of anyone here has played around with
> this before.....

I guess if we prep the alkalinity to about 6 degrees KH, we should no
problem right? I was hoping to use Baking Soda (whch I used to use in my
4-footer). Anyone can help?

Mark Pan
Website:http://home.pacific.net.sg/~mmenace
--
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will
philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that