RE: Re: Fish load .v. plant load

Roger

Thank's for your considered & very useful response.

I plugged your nitrogen/plant, nitrogen/fish-food ratios into my spreadsheet
model & got the same result as you; i.e. 100g of fish-food in 4 months, in a
mature stable tank would need to have ~300g/wk of plant material removed
(disregarding water changes, denitrification & conversion of nitrogen into
inert forms of substrate) to maintain a constant Nitrate level.

I guess that conclusively proves we can both do Math! (but probably doesn't
prove much else)

Actually it's useful in so much as it demonstrates that using plants to
control Nitrates is within the realms of possibility which I didn't
previously know.

I may be good at Math but I'm useless at chemistry...  In your response you
make the throwaway comment "... 1.6 mg/liter N.  That would be about 7 mg/l
of nitrate."  How do you (is it possible to?) calculate the amount of
Nitrogen in xxxNO3?  Is it calculated using the atomic weights of Nitrogen &
Oxygen in some way?  What's the general principle?

Regards, Kevin
(BTW - I also enjoy just looking at my fish & plants in case anyone was
wondering)