Re: Why am I changing so much water?

Chuck Gadd wrote:
>> sink and I am lazy.  So I've done precisely 1 water change since I
>> moved, plus topping up evaporation a few times.  I feed pretty
>
>You are making your tank water harder and harder by doing this... The
>water evaporates, the minerals in the water don't.   So every time you
>top off the tank, you are adding more hardness....

True, but the water in my tank is still softer than my tap water.
So changing water would add still more hardness, not remove it.

>> my duckweed less regularly than I used to.)  The last time I measured
>> nitrates (which was admittedly a few months ago) they were reading 0.
>
>Nitrates aren't the only thing you are removing by doing water changes.
>There are lots of other waste products that will build up in the water.

Interesting assertion.  It might even be true.  Can you give me
any specifics?  Nitrates aren't the only thing I'm removing when
I take out the duckweed either, nor when I clean out the filter.

David Ozenne