Changing water

(You can tell it's cold out, people have picked up on their fish
hobby, list volume is up. It's -40 out with the wind chill. Brrr.)

>Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 08:36:36 +0000
>From: "Susan" <snotabby at earthlink_net>
>Subject: Re: Re: Why am I changing so much water?
>
>Chuck Gadd  writes on Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 01:15:29 -0700
>
>> Nitrates aren't the only thing you are removing by doing water changes.
>> There are lots of other waste products that will build up in the water.
>
>True! There are lots of disolved organics that we do not have test kits for.

Back in the late 80's, somebody posted on alt.aquaria that you
couldn't keep up with water changes, even 30% 3 times a week.

This sounded odd to me so I asked him for his reference and he sent me
a 12 page typed tome with charts and graphs of ionic concentrations.

The guy was right - if his measurements and calulations were to be
believed - and he was a pretty scrupulously painstaking accurate
kind of guy based on his notes. After 12 - 18 mos the water is
just soup.

So, ever since then I've done twice yearly "flush out the tank"
changes - 20% one day, 40% the next, then 90% the next and the
day after.

--
Richard J. Sexton                                         richard at aquaria_net
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1Y0       +1 (613) 473 1719