Trickle Filters

Ivo Bushko wrote:  "I believe an overflow box is not necessary nor desirable
in a planted aquarium.  Overflows such as the one in all-glass aquariums
don't seem appropriate either, due to the amount of water splashing they
create."

Just can't agree with you there, Ivo.  Overflow boxes (trickle filters) are
wonderful and quite appropriate in planted aquaria.  There are many points
to praise:  good oxygenation of the water (:-O no gasping fish!); easy place
in the sump to drop in additives, fertilizers, CO2 diffusers, thermometers,
etc.; great way to eliminate surface scum of all sorts; per George's (Booth)
and my own less rigorous experiments, no significant loss of CO2; and the
splashing of water! well, it reminds me of when I was a little kid playing
in the tub!!!  And soothing to the ears to boot!  How 'bout that!

The only drawback I have experienced is the occasional fry or oto overboard.
That used to distress me until I fitted out a small square of filter foam to
fit on the inside of the trickle box overflow.  That prevents the little
guys from going overboard.  And keeps me honest about cleaning the filter
pad every week or two.

Regards, Steve Dixon in San Francisco