Maybe Duckweed isn't so bad...

This is a snippet from a press release from my alma mater, NCSU.  I thought it might be of interest to a few of you guys.

1998 -- Forestry professor Dr. Anne-Marie Stomp becomes the first scientist to genetically engineer duckweed, a common aquatic plant, to produce insulin and other therapeutic proteins. The process, which capitalizes on duckweed’s rapid cloning ability and high protein content, offers a less expensive and more efficient method of producing protein drugs than traditional manipulation of soybean and mammalian cells.

Chris