Re: CO2 system with/without pH controller

>Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:06:21 -0600
>From: "Berryman, David" <DBerryma at AspenMed_org>
>
>One undisputed fact no matter what anyone says is that when I measured the O2
>after over dosing with CO2 it was dangerously low.
>
>This is fact....the other fact is that when I turned the air stone on hi to
>compensate for this, the fish recovered within 30 minutes and my O2 went
>back to normal limits.  That is a factual statement.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to provide the measured values of O2
and CO2 that correlate to the "dangerously low", "normal limits" and "over
dosing" facts you have stated. Some of us anal retentive types are more
comfortable with numbers rather than subjective ranges.

>This evidence though you have not seen it
>yourself, speaks loudly that CO2 some how starves the fish of the O2 they
>need.

I think the people replying to you have merely suggested you are jumping to
the wrong conclusion.

>  For those of you that are pissed off at me for speaking of this

No one is pissed. We are just trying to point out that you may have jumped
to the wrong conclusion and before you write a book about it you should do
a bit more research.

>Maybe Mr. Booth or some one with a physics
>degree can explain it but the O2 that I would pump back into the tank DID IN
>FACT help the fish recover. That is undisputed proof in my book.

No one is disputing that aerating the tank corrected the symptoms you
observed.   No one is disputing that you may have a low oxygen problem. No
one is disputing that adding CO2 is making the low oygen problem worse.

What you are claiming is that CO2 displaces CO2:

>CO2 does in fact relate to O2 directly.
>Use common sense.  If you committed suicide by running your car in the
>garage what kills you?

As others have pointed out, you are completely unaware of what is going on.
Carbon MONoxide prevents O2 from being picked up by the blood in your
example. It has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. C'mon, man, it's
a scientific fact that O2 and CO2 are independent. Chuck Gadd's experiment
demonstrated this. You are wrong. Period. Adding CO2 does NOT reduce O2.

There is something else going on with your use of CO2 and/or general
aquatic husbandry that is causing your problems. As I mentioned in my first
response, you seem to be hacking around with CO2 and water chemistry and
are causing yourself undue grief.

Maybe you could describe your setup - filters, water circulation, how you
inject CO2, pH, etc. Maybe from this we could tell you what is wrong. But
don't get all mad at us for pointing out that you are making incorrect
statements.

Cheers,
George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/