Hemoglobin overloaded with CO2??

Someone said recently that CO2 was transported out of the system by
hemoglobin.  If this is the case, then if the CO2 levels are too high,
couldn't you overload the fish's hemoglobin with CO2 so there weren't
anymore sites available for O2?  That way we you could have fish dying
for want of O2 in an O2-saturated tank, right?

This whole business looks to be kind of complicated.  Roger Miller's
quote from Feroze Ghadially's experiments were really helpful, I think.
Anyone up for buying some feeder fish and running a few experiments?
(Yeah, I know, "Be my guest...")
Sherman