Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #24

In a message dated 1/12/2000 12:52:28 Pacific Standard Time,

> Can anybody help me get the volume of water in my aquarium in gals.?  I
>  need to know this because I would be administering some medicines and I
>  need to know the exact amount of water to put the correct amount of
medicine.

The formula for U.S. Gallons of water is Length x Width x Depth (expressed in
inches), then divide that by 231 = gallons of water.  These dimensions should
be measured inside the glass for maximum accuracy, and not on the outside, as
the manufacturers do.  Don't be surprised that your tank doesn't hold as much
water as it is rated for.  Most tank capacities are greatly exaggerated, some
by as much as 20% or so.