Re: Acidic kitty litter (was KH Buffering)

Roger,

I assume this is how peat both softens and acidifies the water as well? I
realized that it releases humic acid into the water, lowering pH,  but
wondered about its *softening* effect.

(Helpful information on the kitty litter, BTW.)

Sylvia

<< Use a low pH kitty litter with caution.  The kitty litter isn't acting as
 a buffer.  It's a cation exchanger that releases acid into the water as it
 is exchanged for other ions (principally calcium and magnesium) in the
 water.   >>