Filterless problems

In a message dated 1/10/00 12:54:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,

<<
 I'm in the process of buying a 125-gal. tank from my LFS. When I told
 the guy I planned to heavily plant it and stock it with loads of
 rummynoses, he said that while it definitely needed substrate heating,
 it didn't need any filtration.

 So, I'm gathering opinions on substrate heating and filterless tanks.
 The heating sounds like a good idea, but my research on filterless plant
 tanks tells me that I should probably run at least some kind of minor
 mechanical filtration. I was thinking of a sump. Any opinions on
 brands/types? Also, should I go with something suited for a full
 125-gal., or will something smaller be fine?

What? IMO (and I'm sure we're going to hear a lot more), you definitely
should utilize purposeful mechanical filtration in your 125... to remove
particulates, circulate dissolved gases, destratify the system thermally... I
would not use a sump... too much surface disruption, loss of CO2... but do
look into good canister filters 9my fave line, Eheim) or inside power
filters...(again, Eheim)
Bob Fenner