Re: lightly filtered tank question

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Amy Hembree wrote:

> I'm in the process of buying a 125-gal. tank from my LFS. When I told
> the guy I planned to heavily plant it and stock it with loads of
> rummynoses, he said that while it definitely needed substrate heating,
> it didn't need any filtration.

Get the substrate heaters if you already have everything else you want and
you still have money to burn.  Their benefit to the aquarium is arguable
(in fact, there's lots of argument about that in the archives of this
list) but I think even the proponents of undergravel heating agree that
there are more effective ways to spend your money (adequate light and a
dependable CO2 system come to mind).

I think filterless tanks are great.  There are two things to keep in mind.
First, your plants need good water circulation -- they can't move around
to get water-borne nutrients so the nutrients have to go to them -- so
even if you don't have a big filter you still need something that will
provide good circulation.  I use powerheads.  Second, you should probably
build up the fish population in an unfiltered tank fairly slowly.  That
way you can be sure that the plants are established, growing well and able
to consume the wastes that the fish are producing.

Roger Miller