Re:Brown algae

Hi Aaron

You don't have enough light over this tank.  You need 2-3 watts for every
4.5 liters and if your tank is more then 18 inches deep, the tubes won't
penetrate the depth.  For a tank that size you need bottled co2 a diy setup
is not enough.  What is the KH of the tank?

Alfred

At 03:48 AM 1/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:08:15 +0800
>From: "Chang Khin Fah" <ckhinf at pd_jaring.my>
>Subject: Brown algae!!!
>
>Hi,,
>
>My planted tank of 540 litres has brown algae  on my fine leave plant and
>some beard and spot algae on the broad leaves plant.It has been set up for 3
>months already with one year old 5x40w flourescent tubes for 10 hours daily.
>I understand that brown algae  is cos by low-light,is it the light intensity
>or lighting hour?I know Oto eat this kind of algae but I buy any over
>here.Does Pleco.do the same job too?
>The ph is around 7.5 which I believe is too high.I try to lower it by
>increasing Co2 but it doesn't help.I wonder if there are any other way of
>lowering the ph beside mixing RO and deionizing the tap water.
>BTW,what is RO?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Aaron Chang

In sunny Singapore - if it's not raining!

Visit my humble fish site: http://members.delphi.com/alheng