[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
CO2 reactor from sponge filter
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: CO2 reactor from sponge filter
- From: Mike Charlton <mike at rook_dyndns.org>
- Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 09:50:47 -0500
- In-Reply-To: <200001090848.DAA25224 at actwin_com>; from Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com on Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 03:48:01AM -0500
- References: <200001090848.DAA25224 at actwin_com>
- User-Agent: Mutt/1.0i
I was having lots of trouble with my DIY CO2 system. I had hooked up the
CO2 to the input of my Eheim 2213. Unfortunately, this turned out to
be noisy and frequently made my filter slow down to a crawl. So, I decided
to build another type of reactor. Basically, it's the same design as
the one Erik Olsen put on the Krib. The only difference is that I made it
out of a Hagen sponge filter (you know, the one that is driven by an air
pump). This is the kind that has a "T" bar at the end so that you can
put two sponges on it.
Here is a quick diagram of how I put it together:
|----- Flexible tubing acts as an adapter to cannister filter output.
| | <--- "Output" of the sponge filter. Now the water "input" of reactor.
| __ <--- "T" bar of the sponge filter. Now the water "output" of reactor.
| | <--- Flexible tubing that acts as an adapter.
| | <--- Airline input of the filter. Now upside down and plugged
| |\ at the bottom.
The Eheim tubing from the filter output was too small to go over the input
of the reactor. I added a small piece of flexible tubing (5/8" OD?) that
goes in the input to the reactor and the output to the filter to act as
There is a similar problem with the "T" bar and the airline input piece
(they don't go together). I used a piece of the Eheim tubing (7/8" OD?)
as an adapter.
The airline input is placed upside down so that the bottom has room to
accomodate a plug (I didn't have anything appropriate so I jammed some
filter floss in there -- the pressure isn't high, so I think this will hold).
The CO2 goes into the airline input.
Finally, I filled the tube with aquarium pebbles (mine are probably too big
to be efficient, but it still works well).
After one day, I measure about 35 ppm CO2 (almost double the efficiency of
using the cannister filter as a reactor). The CO2 bubbles in and slowly
bubbles out of the output of the reactor. Thus, I'm sure this could be
made even more efficient. However, I don't think it needs it :-).
Cost: ~$16 Cdn. Advantages: No drilling, cementing, etc required. Looks
really good. You can convert it back to a sponge filter in emergencies.