Re: surface extractor article

Another message from Hoa Nguyen:

From nguyenh at spawar_navy.mil Thu Jan  6 17:37 EST 2000
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 14:40:57 -0800
To: busko at stsci_edu (Ivo Busko)
From: "Hoa Nguyen" <nguyenh at spawar_navy.mil>
Subject: Re: surface extractor article

At 04:00 PM 1/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for the reply, Hoa. You are right that the skimmer is complicated.
>Works well though. I still may try something else in the future, just
>because it is another extra piece of equipment in the tank to be taken
>care of. Anything inside the tank that needs to be reached and disassembled
>for periodic cleaning is a hassle IMO. I'm now striving for minimum
>maintenance designs, before jumping into the project of building a new,
>larger tank.
>
>I don't understand how the mollies take care of the surface scum. Do they
>eat it ? Do they do well in acidic and soft water ?

Ivo,

The mollies are "minimum maintenance" designs and works great.  They are
"mobile surface skimmers".  Constantly darting about just under the
surface, with their mouths open, skimming off whatever floats on the
surface.  And they have pretty delightful personalities also, chasing each
others around.  My water pH is ~7.2 with CO2 injection, and they have been
doing fine for a couple of months.  I don't know how they would do with
more acidic and softer water though.  You may want to give them a try.

Hoa

P.S. Tell this to the APD also, since I can't post as mentioned earlier.

Hoa G. Nguyen
Freshwater Planted Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/