Re: Photography

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 10:24:57 +0100
> From: "Soren 'Disky' Reinke" <disky at disky-design_dk>
> Subject: Re: Photography
>
> >Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:49:39 -0600
> >From: "Thomas Vickers" <redroach at flex_net>
> >
> >I have borrowed a real camera and want to photograph my 55gallon tank.
> >Any ideas on good techniques?
> >
> >Should I open windows and use natural light or just depend on the Tank
> >lights?
>
> Nope wait until it's dark, and make sure no artificial light makes any
> reflection in the tank glass.
>
> If possible get help from 1 or 2 slave flash lights. But let them be in an
> angle to the tank glass, so you don't take pictures of the flash in the
> glas, instead of the fish inside :)
>
> >Film speed?
>
> A very good film is Kodak Gold ASA 400. With that you can even take pictures
> without using flash (done it a few times). I now several other people think
> you should only use asa 100 or lower, because the asa 400 film is to grainy,
> but if you don't wan't to enlarge the pictures up to 10"*20" you can't see
> any difference.
>

> >Any help is appreciated.
>
> Personally I prefer using a digital camera, because then I don't have to
> wait 2 few days to see the result (and it's cheaper :-)
>
> But if you can live with that  maybe 3-5 pictures are useful on a 36 shoot
> film, then you will be fine.
>
> But watch out, it's like a disease to take pictures, once you got it, you
> can't stop again :-)
>
> Good luck
>
> You can check out my homepage there I have a section about this subject, but
> it's more with digital camera.
>
> www.disky-design.dk/fish/photo.html
>
> With many Thanks
>
> Soren ' Disky ' Reinke  ICQ #1413069
>
> Please visit my Freshwater Aquaria Webpage
> http://www.disky-design.dk/fish

Your advise is correct to try to eliminate as much ambient light as possible and
using flashes at an angle (~45 degrees works nice).  But why would you suggest
using a fast film like ASA 400?!?   If you are trying to eliminate ambient light
then shoot ASA 50 or even 25.  Even one moderate sized (say guide number of 80 or
so) strobe should produce more than enough light to get F8 or better DOF.  For full
tank shots you'll be using a wider lens anyway and won't need to stop down very
far.
--
Later,
Paul E. Turley

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in the greatest possible
misinterpretation."