used tank

Hello everybody,

I bought a used tank a year ago and it's been setup for around 6 months
already, the back ground (or backing) is painted blue light blue and i want
to change it to a black background (to bring out the plants color better)
i've been trying to scrape this paint (pretty thin layer) but i've done a 5
inch by 3 inch rectangle of scraping this paint off with a razor blade and
it's taken me around 30 mins to do that the tank's quite large it's 66
gallons and i was wondering if there's an easy way of removing the paint
faster?!
there;sfish and plants in the tank already and i don't want to remove any of
them?
any suggestions?
thanks
Raymond